Custom Label Academy: The Dos and Don'ts Of Quoting Custom Labels
What information is most important to get from your customer for General Data to give you a fast and accurate label quotation?
Hi – I’m Carrie Myrick – I’m part of the account management team here at General Data.
General Data stocks hundreds of SKUs of stock labels – but many times your customer needs a certain type of label that isn’t a stock item. These custom labels are great opportunity for you to grow both your business and margins, and also position yourself as a problem-solver to your customers.
To assist you in selling custom labels, General Data must first provide you with an accurate quote. To do that, there is important information you must get from your customer so we can give you a fast and accurate label quote.
So let’s talk about a few of the Dos and Don'ts of quoting custom labels.
To begin, DO ask questions about how and where the label is used.
- What’s its purpose?
- What will it be applied to?
- Where will it be used? Inside? Outside?
- What type of surface will it be applied to? – like corrugated, metal or plastic
- Is it permanent, or will the label need to be removed?
- Are there temperature considerations? – either where its used or what its applied to, like a cold surface for example
- Will it need to be exposed to water, soaps, oils, solvents or other chemicals?
Secondly, DO understand how the customer intends to print on the label
- Do they intend to print on it at all?
- If so, what type of print method – laser, inkjet, dot matrix, direct thermal, or thermal transfer? Get the make and model of the printer if you can.
- Does the label need to be pre-printed with logos, color bars or other things? If so, get the artwork and the color specs.
Finally, DO get the label specifications, like
- The size of the label, its shape, and any other details related to that
- Do they need it in sheets, fanfolded, or in rolls? If rolls, what are the outside and inside diameters of the roll?
- What quantity do they need? Is it a one-time order, or do they need monthly, quarterly or yearly releases?
- Is there a target price that you need to hit?
Now how about a few DONT’S?
DON’T forget to ask if this is an existing label - this is very important!
If this is an existing label, be sure to get samples.
Talk about the existing label with the customer – are they experiencing any issues with it, or would they like to see anything changed or improved
And for everything we’ve talked about, DON’T assume or guess at answers to any of these questions! Getting us the right information means we can get you a fast and accurate quote, which you can use to win more custom label sales.
Finally, DON’T think you have to become a custom label expert! That’s what your General Data account manager is for. We have years of experience making all kinds of custom labels, and we can help guide you through the process of asking the right questions to understand your customer’s needs, provide a fast and accurate label quote, and win more custom label business.
So contact us today, and let’s get started!
I’m Carrie Myrick, and thanks for watching!